'BELIEVE ME, IT'S NO JOKE' to paraphrase rocker Dave Grohl, when fans refused to believe that he was hospitalized by a coffee overdose. It was "caffeine intoxication," not the usual drug overdose by rockers.
Not many people know about caffeine intoxication and those who have heard about it often don't give it credence. Yet, it's become a serious problem as more and more frequently people ask for help from poison control centers and hospital emergency departments because they are consuming more and more caffeine. Last year, Ethic Soup wrote the post, "Caffeine is in everything: how much is in you?" which has become one of our most frequently-read posts.
JOCKEY VIDEO TRUE
What happened to Grohl happened about a year ago. However, his band-mates from Them Crooked Vultures, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones, posted a jockey video online about the overdose just last week. In the video, they teased Grohl about his coffee addiction and many fans thought the hospitalization was in jest.
HOSPITALIZED FOR COFFEE OVERDOSE
However, Grohl has confirmed that he was struck down with crippling chest pains and hospitalized, where he was told his condition was due to his favorite hot beverage -- coffee, too much caffeine.
"We were in the studio making a record and I was drinking a lot of coffee," he told UK radio station Absolute Radio, reports Monsters and Critics. "I was doing (Them Crooked) Vultures stuff at night, Foo Fighters stuff during the day and I had a newborn at home, so I was sleeping two to three hours a night on an air mattress in a guest bedroom.
SCARY CHEST PAINS
"And yeah, I had too much coffee. I started to get chest pains so I went to the hospital and they told me to stop drinking the coffee."
Hopefully, since Dave Grohl is a rock star, his experience and willingness to now share it, will help bring more awareness to the serious health problems of consuming too much caffeine. This is particularly important today when so many food and beverage products have caffeine as an added ingredient. That's why people don't realize just how much caffeine they consume on a daily basis.
CAFFEINE IS IN EVERYTHING
Manufacturers add caffeine to everything from energy drinks and cold medications to candy bars, chewing gum and even potato chips (believe it or not). There is no cure or medical fix for caffeine intoxication like there is for other drug overdoses. And, yes, you can die! Be aware of how much caffeine you're ingesting rather than stay in denial.
by Sharon McEachern
To find out how much caffeine is too much and the other health risks of caffeine, read the following Ethic Soup posts:
TO READ "THE ABC'S OF CAFFEINE" CLICK HERE.
TO READ "CAFFEINE THE WORLD'S MOST POPULAR DRUG" CLICK HERE.
TO READ "CAFFEINE IS IN EVERYTHING: HOW MUCH IS IN YOU?" CLICK HERE.
TO READ "SPARKS CAFFEINE-ALCOHOL DRINK: UNETHICAL, DANGEROUS, REMOVED" CLICK HERE.
FOR A LITTLE HUMOR, READ "25 REASONS YOU KNOW YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH COFFEE" CLICK HERE.